Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween Everyone!!! Yes, this is a bittersweet day for me but I am choosing happiness, fun, and life through my children today! School was great this week. I never thought that studying bacteria would be fun or interesting but LOVE it!!! I swabbed my shoes, cell phone, a soda can in the trash, the door entering the public restroom, a purse, a computer keyboard, and several other things. I also inoculated E.coli into an agar to test for motility!! Don't I sound so smart?? I will let you know the results next week as they are incubating right now.

I have to take US history as part of my degree and needless to say I was NOT happy about this! When I transferred here from Oregon, I found out that there were many different courses that I had to take to receive a degree from the state of Texas. Why do I need US history for a nursing degree??? Well, I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I took history in high school but NEVER cared one thing about it. It has given me great insight to the continuous elitist attitude that has been a part of history since the beginning of our country. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of this country and the many things that have been accomplished. BUT!!! I am not proud of the nearly complete annihilation of the Native Americans, the suffering of African Americans, mistreatment of immigrants and the poor, the struggle for gender equality, and the overall attitude of rich white men. Has this changed? Very Little! They say history repeats itself, but really it doesn't, it just changes genres. When one group either gives up or wins the battle, the course changes toward another group. We have made such great strides toward "All men are created equal," but we have so much more ground to cover before that statement is true. I am not going to voice much more on this topic. It is just food for thought. One of the first commandments God gives us is, "Though shall not judge." Since when did it become our job to become God's judicial interpreters? Sin is sin in the eyes of the Lord. Right? If I steal, lie, cheat, murder, and JUDGE I am sinning. God created all man equal.... we will all receive our judgment day, hopefully it is from the one who has the only right to cast that judgement.

I don't mean to preach, I am just so appalled at the outright audacity of people to justify their right to judge others. Walk a mile in someone's shoes and you still don't have a right to judge. Make informed decisions. Do the research before you decide about something. Most of the information we hear isn't the complete story. Love each other, this is the only time we get to do this. Happy Birthday Dad, Grandma, and Kena.

No comments:

Post a Comment